Dutch Cheese Soup
The Dutch are great soup eaters, often featuring soup as a main dish. This hearty soup, enriched with Gouda cheese, is perfect served piping hot on a chilly evening.
- 1/4 C (59 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 C (76 g) onions, diced
- 1 C (230 g) cauliflower, diced
- 2 med potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 med carrots, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 C (946 ml) low sodium chicken broth
- 2 T (29 g) butter
- 4 oz (113 g) Canadian bacon, diced
- 5 oz (142 g) Gouda cheese, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 8 1/2-in (13 mm) slices sourdough baguette
Place oil in a 1 1/2-quart (1420-ml) saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until soft; add cauliflower, carrots and potatoes; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and simmer. Meanwhile, heat butter in a small skillet; add canadian bacon; sauté until lightly browned; add to soup. Reduce heat to low and cover, simmering until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Pour soup into 4 individual ovenproof bowls, topping each with 2 bread slices and one quarter of cheese. Place under broiler until cheese is bubbly and serve immediately.
- Prep time: 12 minutes.
- Cook time: 30 minutes.
- Makes 4 servings.